(Originally Posted 19th May 2007)
Professional footballer.
A new series which I may or may not keep up with, I shall reveal what I used to want to be growing up - and guess what? Neither working in a pub or doing admin ever showed up on my radar, funny that, eh?
The first career I ever wanted, was to be a professional footballer. I loved football, I watched every bit of football I could on the telly and would get my folks to record Sportsnight for me and that other one on ITV that Elton Welsby presented. I even collected every footy sticker album going - why was it you never had problems completing the small clubs like Oxford (yes they were top flight when I were a lad - sponsored by Wang), Notts County (them too, tho not sponsored by Wang, they had Steve Cherry tho!) or Everton? I remember doing 10 for 1 swaps so I could get David Speedie of Liverpool or even more for that ever elusive LFC 'shiny'.
I started off as a goalkeeper, I had no fear and thought nothing of diving head first at someone's feet (that may explain my lack of academic excellence!). However, a more popular lad decided he wanted to be goalie and I was pushed out into defence. I wasn't much cop in front of goal but that didn't matter as I enjoyed tackling and getting stuck in more than scoring like you glory boy striker wannabes ;) I was quite a dirty player too, would think nothing of a sly clip of the heels after being done like a kipper, I even got away with it sometimes too, much to my 'fouled' opponent's dismay.
However it became apparent to me in 1st year of High School that I wasn't going to make it as a pro - only being selected for the B team demotivated me and I was then lost to world of professional football. Tho I would carry on playing Saturday footy up at the school, ran by Mr. Lloyd, (ages 11+) up until I was about 18 or 19, then I discovered beer and I haven't really played since.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment